Bras are an essential part of women’s garments. Every woman, once in her lifetime wears a bra for her personal or sometimes medical reasons. According to a poll, almost over 90% of North American women don’t even think about the answer to question “why do women wear bras”. It is true that wearing a bra could not be a necessity but most women wear it just for cultural reasons. However, some women wear bras for personal reasons. They wear it to support and reveal their breasts, to give a proper shape to the body and to improve the looks of their breasts. Women with smaller breasts wear padded bra in order to come up to crazy beauty standards that require women to have full breasts.
Basic Purpose of Bra
1. Weight distribution of bust
The main point of wearing a bra is to distribute the weight of bust onto the shoulders and waist area in order to feel comfortable. If a bra fails to fit properly, most of the weight is on shoulders and neck which may cause headaches or pain in shoulder or neck.
2. To improve the appearance of clothes and body
Yes, Bra can really make your clothes look better. It gives a proper shape to your body and sometimes it allows you to fit in some of your clothes.
3. To Avoid pain
Wearing bra distributes the weight of breast such that almost about 80% of it is carried by the band and only about 20% by your shoulders which could be extremely relaxing and could prevent shoulder, neck pains and spine issues.
4. To Reduce discomfort
Bra reduces unwanted movements of breasts, thus avoid discomfort. Women with large bust often face problems even in the most basic tasks due to their breasts. Wearing a proper bra can help them keep the unnecessary movement in control.
Why Wear Bra?
There has always been a debate regarding the purpose of Bras. Many women claim that it is just a cultural garment and not a requirement. While others convince that they need it for their well-being. There have been several studies that reveal certain pros and cons of wearing bras.
Pros of Wearing a Bra
Bras are considered as a symbol of womanhood. Many women don’t consider it necessary to follow the norms of the society and feel liberated without a Bra. However, bras have a lot of advantages that can make women’s day to day life easier.
Not wearing a bra is not a bad idea, some women stay bra free at home. But if you don’t wear a bra in public space, the following issues may occur, so before going braless do consider these pros of wearing a bra:
- Protection from Sweating: Wearing a bra protects you against sweating under the bust, which is the more likely cause of irritation and outburst of pimples.
- Boosts Confidence: With your Bra on, you can easily move around with confidence and avoid any awkward feeling or being overly self consciousness.
- Avoid Pain: If you are a woman with heavy bust, You can feel pain in your shoulder and chest. Bra provides a good support and keep you pain free by adding extra support.
- Ease to move around: Going braless can be called unprofessional. Walking could be difficult as your bust slaps on your chest. Bra provides you with enough comfort and support to move around freely.
- Graceful Look: With your bra on, your outfits fit well and provide you with a graceful look.
- Enhance Cleavage: When it comes to show your cleavage never forget to wear a bra as You don’t have any other way to show your cleavage.
- Good Posture: Bra provides a natural support to your back bone to maintain a good posture.
Cons of Wearing a Bra
Over time many women have speculated that there are a few disadvantages of wearing a bra that can’t be ignored.
Can cause Breasts to Sag
According to some studies, it was found out wearing bras regularly from a young age can actually cause your breasts to sag. Jean-Denis Rouillon, a sports science researcher found out that girls not wearing a bra had perkier breasts. As mentioned in Wikipedia, it was found out that women that stopped wearing bras by their own choice, had a 0.3-inch lift in their nipples as compared to women who regularly wore bras. In an interview, professor said, “Medically, physiologically, anatomically – breasts gain no benefit from being denied gravity. On the contrary, they get saggier with a bra.”
Moreover, Dr. Stafford Broumand stated for Refinery29 that not wearing a bra at an early age can lead to enhanced production of collagen and elasticity which as result improves lift in a developing breast.
Causes Discomfort for certain body types
Bras can make women feel constricted since they hold the breasts at the same position. It can make them feel stiff and might be uncomfortable for some women.
Wearing Bra in Pregnancy
Bras are also quite useful for women in pregnancy. In turn you might wonder why wear a bra during pregnancy?
It can make the pregnancy a bit easier as you can feel comfortable because of wearing a bra. Here are a few advantages of wearing a bra during pregnancy.
- Your bust becomes more sensitive during pregnancy and outer clothing feels uncomfortable. Wearing a bra can reduce this sensitivity.
- Your bust becomes bigger, heavier and softer in unusual manner. Bras can keep the breasts in place avoiding pain.
- Wearing no bra might cause pain and irritation.
- Women who don’t wear bra during pregnancy find it hard and uncomfortable to wear it after childbirth.
Why not to try out some alternatives of Bra
1. Go Braless
If you are comfortable with your body and don’t have any medical needs that require you to wear a bra for support, you can go around braless. You’ll feel free and much relaxed.
Graphic pasties are a fun option when you wish to feel wind on your skin but don’t want to reveal it’s chill to everyone. These are slightly different from the tradition bras because pasties come in numerous colors, shapes and designs.
3. Taping to keep Breasts in Place
When you want to feel free but also want to avoid sagging, then using a tape to hold your breast and sticking it to your back is the best option. You don’t have to worry, breast tape has the ability to support cups A through D.
Not every bra can handle every top or dress. Some clothes are not breast friendly. Sew-in-cups can go with plunging necklines and backless tops and are able to prevent annoying claps.
Women that want to work on their posture can opt for corsets although it can be uncomfortable to wear. These lace-up pieces keep your back straight, make your looks better and give a little bit of push-up. This can surely boost up your self-confidence.
6. Blouse tape
If taping your breast is giving you a tough time, simply tape your blouse instead! This can surely prevent unnecessary cleavage and nip slip. Most women prefer to wear both patsies and this blouse tape to avoid any malfunction. This gives you freedom and comfort.
Choosing to wear or not wear a bra is entirely your decision. Every woman has a unique beautiful body with different needs. The main priority is your comfort and confidence, and the right bra size that is suitable for your body type is always comfortable. If you feel uncomfortable in a bra, chances are that you haven’t found the right bra yet!